Why should you have a curriculum vitae?
It is a simple and efficient way to give value to your experience, your knowledge and your aptitudes.
To be able to fill out your curriculum vitae with important information you must first be able to ask yourself certain questions. Self evaluation will help you to understand yourself and at the time make it easier for you to present yourself.
- Your strengths
- Your weaknesses
- Your competencies
- Your habits
- Your interests
- Your values
- Your objectives
- Your ambitions
- Identify your strengths so you can give them value.
- It allows you to talk about your successes, your ambitions and your objectives in a way that fits the needs of the enterprises with whom you are doing the interview.
- Evaluate your weakness so you can try to imporve them.
- It will help you identify the areas where improvement is needed.
- Build your confidence
- Your self awareness will help you reply to questions with assurance and spontaneity.
It allows you to refine your objectives, your values and your interests for the rest of your career.
Self evaluation is an important step towards preparing for an interview.
Le curriculum vitae…
- The curriculum vitae is a resume of personal and professional information that helps a potential employer to get to know you.
- There are a lot of different types of curriculum vitae and there is no one-size-fits-all
The CV should present your training and experience in reverse chronological order (the most recent to the oldest). Keep in minde that a thematic presentation of grouping jobs by type or function could also be pertinent.
Creativity and Originality: definitely a must!
You have the chance to work in a field where imagination, creativity and originality are qualities that are looked for and appreciated.
Which is why your CV needs to make you stand out from the crowd and arouse interest and curiosity in the person who might hire you.
In Quebec, you don’t have to give certain information that could be the basis of discrimination unless of course the job demands certain attributes (i.e. an airplane steward needing to be a certain height to reach the overhead baggage compartments).
- Your age
- Your height and weight
- Your social insurance number
- Your family situation (children, married, divorced etc.)
- Your asking salary
The curriculum vitae should be one or two pages maximum.
The recruiter could receive hundreds of CVs in the process of filling a job. They generally spend very little time reading the details of a CV. Their attention will be focused on what they feel will fulfill the needs the job. Your job is to stand out and get the interest of the recruiter in a way that makes it easy for them to understand your employability.
The reader should have a good idea of your profile in the top 1/3 of the page. The rest of your CV is just proof of what you’ve stated in the top 1/3.
3 Layout examples of CV:
The letter that accompanies your curriculum vitae should be customized to correspond precisely to the job offer or that specific enterprise
If the letter is to reply to a job posting, whether is be a spontaneous application, exploring the ,arket or checking out a recruitment agency, it must:
- Focus the attention of the eventual reader on the most interesting aspects of the curriculum vitae.
- …and to zero in on the type of job or employment you are looking for.
You could also call it a letter of motivation.
The layout of the letter
- The letter could be layed out in one, two of three segments.
- The three segment letter is visually more appealing as the elements are evenly distributed across the page and is the one we suggest for a letter of presentation.
- The letter could be aligned to the right or not but in any case there must be a good balance of words and white page.
- The upper and lower margins as well as the side spacings are generally 4cm.
There is a simple trick when communicating to make sure the contents of the letter reach the targeted goal:
The « five W »!
- When? => Date
- Who? => The person you wish yo reach
- Where? => The address
- What? => What it is you want to communicate
- Why? => Content and goals
Check out this online tool from YesMontreal to help you in choose the best content for your CV.